Video Games

Over Memorial Day Weekend I attended BayCon, The Bay Area Science Fiction & Fantasy Convention that has been happening in California since 1982.

Unsurprisingly, BayCon was what brought me out of the shadows as a nerd a few years ago. Because, you know, I could sit in a crowded room and listen to science fiction and fantasy authors talk about their work for 4 days straight. And when I tried explaining BayCon (and my ethusiasm for it) to others, they looked at me kinda funny.

BayCon is a great smorgasboard of geekdom, and is especially relevant if you are a budding fiction writer (hi there!) interested in fantasy or science fiction. You can't move without nudging a published author or two.

Basically, it's my nerd heaven, a place where intellectualism and hedonism meet and are very good friends.

If you ever go, here's a tip: the Klingons make the best drinks. Be sure to order a revenge, which will cause them to chant "Revenge is a drink best served cold!"

The theme of this year's BayCon was "Carnival," and boy did I revel! The revelry, it was much.

Tiki Dalek Welcomes You!

Cel-e-brate! In-e-bri-ate!

Note: The fun thing about tiki Dalek was trying to spot how many of its parts came from a party store. Far as we could tell: pretty much everything!

More pics after the jump!



Here's a picture of me flying the TR colors:



Saturday night was when things really came alive. There was this amazing group of friends that came dressed as Victorian versions of the Justice League!

(Apologies for the low-quality cell phone pics, but maybe you can still spot some of these folks)

My favorites of the group were Wonder Woman:

(Much better than the costume from Wondie's awful, awful TV pilot, methinks!)

And . . . wait for it . . . Martian Manhunter as a proper Victorian gent!

(What to do in a time before the invention of the Oreo cookie?)

Here are Diana and J'onn, classin' it up:


Steampunk has been a popular theme lately at BayCon, and there was one costume that really took my breath away:

Her wings actually opened and shut. She made them herself. This is the ideal steampunk costume to me: something home-made that involves a mechanism or working parts of some kind. She won the masquerade contest.

And, aw hell, might as well show you my own Saturday night thing, er, costume:




This second pic is the only time in my recorded existence that I seem tall! Yay!

Later that night around 11 pm the parties began. Each room on the party floor has a different theme: most notable were the Leather Tea Party Room and that room where a bunch of people with labcoats and syringes were mixing a drink called the "Miskatonic" (a cloudy and green concoction that tasted like a pine tree).

Here's James T. Kirk and I in the Leather Tea Party Room. Note the placement of the glow stick:


And here's probably my personal favorit-test of all:


Kaylee from "Shindig!" Now, my pic of her came out horrible blurry, so I must credit SchoolGirlGoodness for this pic.

Happy Belated Memorial Day, everybody!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY