I have an incredible taste for shoes. I love them! I don't discriminate in any way, I love boots, sandals, wedges, pumps, evening shoes...you name it, I'll drool over it! However, I must say that I have a true fondness for antique and vintage shoes. I have a small collection of very delicate and painstakingly chosen vintage shoes. What is lacking in my collection are a fabulous pair of 18th century, French, silk shoes *sigh* So I decided to find some (an authentic pair in relatively good condition you can find them for a mere $4000, not in my budget)! Let's drool together now...

"The fashionable eighteenth century women's shoe was a luxurious and feminine accessory. Ladies of quality wore shoes of rich dress silks which might, but did not necessarily, match their gowns. Made as "straights," that is without a designated left or right shoe."
~Cora Ginsburg
Bethnal Green Museum, London, England

Men and women of the upper classes wore shaped high heels. Materials for shoes were rich and splendid they included brocades, embroidered silks and painted leathers. Large showy buckles had become a significant feature of the shoes.

A pair of Marie Antoinette's shoes Musee Carnavalet

After the French Revolution, shoe styles changed dramatically. Heels shrank and even disappeared, in order to suggest that everyone was born on the same level. Expensive silks were largely replaced by more affordable and better-wearing leathers


This is a very fun site to poke around in ~ http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~ulrich/19cdress/index.htm




0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY