I like to think I am a well rounded nerd. When I was younger, I enjoyed reading anytime I could (and still do), and I would pick up sci-fi, fantasy, horror and the Classics, I would avoid the 'fluff' books. I'm interested in history, science, archaeology, literature, and mythology. I love cartoons, and still watch them to this day like most of us. I absolutely love Batman. I have started subscribing to comic issues and picking up trades. I enjoy collecting things way too much. My DVD collection boasts classic Sci-Fi and Fantasy with a sprinkling of cult classics. I dress up for Hallowe'en every year despite that I am 25 years old. I go to RHPS screenings. I love musicals. I love Star Wars for its science fantasy. I love Star Trek because of its science fiction. I watch a lot of television shows that appeal to the nerdy population. I own a lot of geeky t-shirts. I am proud of my nerdy and geeky lifestyle and embrace all that it is.

However.

There is one thing I just cannot get into.

Anime.

I've tried, really I have. I've dated several guys who loved it and would show me what they considered the cream of the crop of the genre. I've watched a few episodes of animes on Canada's Cartoon Network, Teletoon. I loved Flight of Dragons, The Last Unicorn and Lord of the Rings (the cartoon version) and they were all early styled animes.

There a few animes that I liked. Hellsing for one. I can't really remember anymore than that. I love Avatar: The Last Airbender but I'm not even sure if it would be considered anime since it is American. I watched Pokemon before school because it was the only thing on and I didn't actually mind it at all. I also watched Yu-Gi-Oh for awhile (I like monsters). My cousin would make me watch Sailor Moon and while I didn't exactly hate it, it wasn't something I went out and watched on my own, or bought the DVDs for.

I wouldn't go as far to say I hate anime. I don't. It just doesn't appeal to me. It's just one of those things in the nerdy world that I just haven't been able to get myself into. Anime seems like one of those things a lot of people like myself are into, and I almost feel like I should like it. Like it is just one classic nerd genre. And I do appreciate the form. I know quite a few people who draw in that style, and usually people who can draw in that style are very good at it as well (with some exceptions I am sure). I have found myself liking a lot of anime inspired art.

Anyways, that's something I don't like. How about the rest of you? Is there something that people tout as a nerd staple that you just couldn't find yourself liking?

- The Joltess

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

FREE HOT VIDEO | HOT GIRL GALERRY